Making smoothies a part of your daily habit is one of the best things you can do to keep yourself in shape. Smoothies are not only delicious and easy to prepare, they can also be very healthy and good for you. It’s one of the best ways to meet our daily recommended allowance of 5 fruits a day. And for people who are not too keen on eating vegetables, smoothies can be a way to get your fill of fibre from the greens without the leafy aftertaste.
It’s no surprise then that a lot of people are starting to pick up this habit. It doesn’t matter how old or young you are, you are never too early or too late to get into smoothie drinking. Don’t worry if you’ve never made a smoothie in your life before now – it’s something even your 4-year-old niece can help you with.
If you are committed to becoming healthier, then making sure you succeed in this habit of drinking healthy smoothies is a goal you need to aim for. Forming a habit takes time. They say that you need to repeat an action for 28 days for it to sink in and truly become a habit for you. So to help you reach that goal, here are some tips on how you can make smoothies part of your daily routine.
- You have to make a commitment and VERBALISE it. The first step is to want it. You have to be committed to see it through. You have to believe that you can do it and that you can succeed. And just as important as being truly committed is your ability to verbalise that commitment to your family and friends. By sharing what you intend to do with people around you, you are creating a support network for yourself of people who can cheer you on and remind you (in your moments of doubt).
- Set a schedule for your new habit. Are you going to make smoothies your breakfast? Or will it be an afternoon pick-me-upper? Will it be your reward to yourself after gym? Setting aside a certain time each day for your smoothie habit will make it easier for you to turn it into a habit. You are conditioning your mind to expect a glass of cool, creamy smoothie at a fixed time each day.
- Reward yourself. Give yourself a reward for reaching your goal. This will make the habit even more pleasurable and will motivate you further to succeed.
- Enjoy a variety of recipes. For a lot of people, variety is the key to success. Continuously discovering and enjoying new healthy smoothie recipes is important in keeping your interest in the habit. A recipe collection like “Sensational Smoothies: Drink Your Way To Health Deliciously” is great to keep in handy so you always have a new recipe to look forward to.
- Find a smoothie buddy. Forming a habit with a buddy makes the whole experience much more fun, and much more likely to succeed. Get your partner involved, or your friend. You can then keep tabs on how each other is doing, and even swap recipes from time to time.
If you don’t have your health, you have nothing. Make smoothies your daily habit and help yourself to a healthier you.
To make the best smoothies, I highly recommend the Nutribullet. I've been using one for about a year and think it's fantastic.
Unlike most blenders and juicers, this high-powered nutrition machine pulverises your fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds into a smooth, delicious smoothie in 30 seconds or less.
No peeling and no messy equipment to wash up afterwards.
I use mine to make a breakfast smoothie which keeps me feeling full until way past lunchtime. Consequently, I've lost a lot of weight and dropped a couple of trouser/pant sizes!
You could use it to replace breakfast, lunch or dinner. I recommend adding a cupful of porridge oats to increase the fibre content and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Also, because you are using the whole fruits and vegetables, your smoothie retains all the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fibre and micro-nutrients your body needs for energy and to fight disease.
Did you know we have several products that can really turbo-charge the nutritional value of your smoothie? Check them out below.